Re: [RTTY] 300hz or 500hz IF filter?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 300hz or 500hz IF filter?
From: Kai <k.siwiak@ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2013 08:39:33 -0400
Hi David,
Update of my previous answer ...

For reference, the specs for the Collins 300 and 500 Hz filter used with FT-857D and FT-817 are at:
http://www.rockwellcollins.com/Capabilities_and_Markets/More/Precision_Manufacturing/Rockwell_Collins_Filters.aspx

The 300 Hz filter has a 3 dB BW of 300 Hz, and 6 dB BW of 330 Hz, all OK for the 250 Hz wide RTTY signal. Be aware, as others have commented here, tuning is touchy! The Collins 500 Hz filter has a 3 dB BW of 500 Hz and 6 dB BW of about 530 Hz. Both are 7-pole filters and both have steep skirts. Both filters are suitable for 170 Hz shift 45.45 Baud RTTY.

As I mentioned earlier, the filter is not the only tool in your arsenal for reducing effect of interference in crowded bands. Try also turning off the RF preamp, and adding RF attenuation.

73,
Kai, KE4PT