Re: [RTTY] ARRL and band/mode awards

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL and band/mode awards
From: Kai <k.siwiak@ieee.org>
Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 11:50:59 -0400
Hi Bill,
Two issues here I guess.
One is ARRL awards --- DXCC is limited to just three unique but broad modulation formats: CW, Phone, Digital on a plethora of combinations of bands. I think you have a good point about allowing any combination of any modulation format for DXCC. They already do that for WAS (except WAS-TPA), which does allow a googolplex matrix of digital modes and bands: every chirp, warble and squeak seems to be covered! Interestingly, there is no differentiation in either WAS or DXCC for individual phone modes. Go figure!

In the case of RTTY I'm thinking that you mean a VERY specific sub-set of RTTY, namely "amateur RTTY" defined as "45.45 baud 170 Hz shift 1-start bit 5-bit Baudot 1-2 stop bit RTTY". But "RTTY" in FCC regulation and ITU-R usage has a much broader meaning: RTTY is a transmission system that links direct teleprinters/teletypewriters by radio, no matter what the modulation or protocol.

Second issue is the specific detail for modes regulated by the FCC. I say let's simplify. Please take a look at "Schedule I, 2, and 3" in
  http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/vwapj/rbr4e.pdf/$FILE/rbr4e.pdf
to see the simplicity with which our neighbor to the north handles mode, bandwidth and frequency allocation for hams. The US does the same thing for 60 m band channel transmissions. It boils down to "if it fits in the 2.8 kHz channel, its OK".

73,
Kai, KE4PT