Re: [RTTY] Volta Scores

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Volta Scores
From: iw1ayd - Salvatore Irato <iw1ayd@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 19:53:36 +0200
Well, Dan you right.
This and more is well depicted, for who want to read more on the subject, at the wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer_%28computer_science%29

Go down on the tables to see those dreaded numbers.

But it shouldn't be a problem only of some logger.
It seems to me that that triggering value is generated when anybody that have made more than that declared score value try to write it inside the 3830 form. I say that as I just entered the declared score for IQ1RY and it returned to me the same integer value of 2,147,483,647 ... That just I have had entered 5,277,929,784, I am more than sure. As N1MM Logger wrote for IQ1RY that table:

    Band    QSOs    Pts  DXC   Are
         3,5      31     284   14    3
           7     159    1600   32   14
          14     440    5105   54   23
          21     395    5660   58   28
          28     129    3014   42   14
       Total    1154   15663  200   82

            Score : 5.277.929.784

(Oh yes, we really had a blast this time! TU all!)

Now as Volta rules tell: Points x Multipliers x QSOs = Final score. So, it could that there is something wrong wrong made by me. As 15,663*282*1,154=5,097,178,764. But this is not even near 2,147,483,647. Look at the case for long integer for W32 and UNIX (as the form is a .php) in the second table on the wikipedia page (Common long integer sizes). That the first line C ISO/ANSI C99" for 32 bit UNIX ...

So Dan it could be just a http://www.3830scores.com/scoreform.php error and not an error of any logger, or the two things together. Isn't it? BTW we are the fourth with the same numbers Shelby, great that you to have seen that "no difference". Anybody that reached more than that declared score would have just THAT number coming back from the scoreform, I suspect.

Hope that my poor to not existent English root may have made all this sounding enough for everybody.

It isn't all RTTY, sorry for being a short OT, but still bits and bytes, that's from where the 5 digits Baudot take its sounds.

            73 de iw1ayd Salvo