Re: [RTTY] NAQP Name

To: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>,RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] NAQP Name
From: Jerry Flanders <jeflanders@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 12:51:59 -0500

At 02:47 AM 2/25/2013, Kok Chen wrote:

On Feb 24, 2013, at 9:43 PM, Robert Chudek - K0RC wrote:

> But you guys got me thinking... I'm considering honoring my gr-gr-Polish-grandfather by using his name next time...

I got my current vanity call sign in May 2002. During the next NAQP, I used "WILKE" as my name, to honor Wilke Cruse, the only previous owner of the call sign.

N0AX told me that Wilke used "Bill" on the air, but I thought "Wilke" was more fitting. He was a Sparks on the Seattle-Yokohama-Shanghai steamships before the war.

Anyway, it must have gotten into some friends.ini database. On the next couple of contests, I received stuff like TU WILKE :-).

One year, I'd used CHENEY. (Contests are supposed to be fun, right?)

73
Chen, W7AY

I worked W1AW in a contest a few years ago and was given "Hiram". Spooky!

Jerry W4UK