Re: [RTTY] RTTY spectrum analysis article

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY spectrum analysis article
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 14:46:16 -0500

It looks like several radios have built-in "sound cards" that are
available by a USB connection. In principle this should be
essentially the same thing as the Flex flex is doing--no analog audio
line to the radio. I have no idea what the interface is like, what
the quality is, or to what extent you can mess it up, but a bit of
internet searching and browsing through manuals indicates that this
is something that people really haven't looked into very much, even
in the world of PSK31 and other digimodes.

The USB "sound cards" in the current crop of rigs are nothing more than
a standard USB CODEC like one would find in any external USB sound card
fed into the balanced modulator.  Some rigs use a switch to select the
mic "chain" or USB sound card, others simply parallel the two inputs
with nothing more than a pair of "summing" resistors.

Using an internal USB sound card is certainly *not* an "add digital"
solution.  It is just as important with the built-in sound cards as
with the external interfaces to use good proactive to keep drive
levels to the proper level and avoid external sources of common mode
RF/hum/etc.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV