[RTTY] RTTY Newbie Questions

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY Newbie Questions
From: Eric Rosenberg <ericrosenberg.dc@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 21:20:57 -0500
I was in the RU for a short time this weekend, my first RTTY contest in my 40 years being licensed. My station is a Ten Tec Orion 565with lots of filters(2.4, 1.8, 500) running v3.030 firmware and the latest version of Writelog.

I learned alot, but have even more questions.

1- what's the normal bandwidth to use? I left it between 1500 and 2 kHz, not knowing any better. 2- How does one monitor their own (FSK) signal to see how good or bad it is. 3- At some point, and I don't remember when, the vertical axis (element) of the XY tuning "ring" remained vertical but almost always was squiggly, not a clean oval. It then seemed I couldn't contact anyone!

I haveother questions, but these were on the top of the list.

Thanks& 73,

Eric W3DQ
Washington, DC