[RTTY] XP vs W7/8 (Re: Commercial Interfaces

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] XP vs W7/8 (Re: Commercial Interfaces
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 14:43:28 -0600
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 2:00 PM, Bill Turner <dezrat1242@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you really want simplicity and bullet proof reliability, stick with Windows
> XP. Everything works like it should.
>
> The so-called "upgrades" to Win 7 and 8 may be more trouble than they are
> worth,
> unless you like to experiment with things, as I do sometimes.
>
> For day in, day out use, XP is hard to beat. Save your money.

Agree generally, but W7 (Enterprise, 64-bit, SP1) has been OK.
Started using it a year or so ago (in a VirtualBox VM on Linux,
thanks) because I needed access to some Windows-only stuff at work.
Got a new hand-me-down Dell at N5UWY and went with W7 rather than try
to recreate my XP environment.

So far, so good.  Never did find drivers for my Siig 4S card (which I
should sell, come to think of it) and went with a 4S USB adapter and
have had no issues (I don't try running 45.45 baud RTTY through it -
that's what the hard ports on the back of the Dell are for).

Only other PITA was having to use the XP VM from MS to make ARC780
work, but that's very old software at this point.  Works, even though
the author doesn't support that configuration (though he still sells
licenses).

I understand that W8's user interface can't be made to look like
Windows 95.  That's a deal-breaker for me.  Even W7 can do that (close
enough, anyway, though don't care for the new Control Panel layout).
If W7 has the longevity XP SP3, then it won't matter.