Re: [RTTY] Pileup of Rookies!

To: Gary AL9A <al9a@mtaonline.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Pileup of Rookies!
From: Hank Garretson <w6sx@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 08:20:23 -0700
On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 9:33 PM, Gary AL9A <al9a@mtaonline.net> wrote:

I wish I could share Don's enthusiasm - unfortunately not so.  Contest
> organizers who insist on limiting power output to 100W should be required
> spend a couple of months in AK first to see just what that does to your
> competitive spirit.

I often run high power in low-power contests and submit as check log. I
follow the W6SX rule which says the first rule of contesting is to have fun.

In the Rookie Roundup, I ran high power because I wanted to make it easier
for rookies to work me. No reason for them to have to struggle to hear me. I
wanted to make their first contest experience a good one. Unfortunately, it
was mostly for naught. I got home from an outing late, and got very few
takers to my CQs.

Ski Exuberantly,

Hank, W6SX

Mammoth Lakes, California

Elevation 8083 feet in John Muir's Range of Light