Re: [RTTY] Renaming RTTY RU & Rookie RU to Digital RU

To: DickT-W0RAA <dickt@w0raa.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Renaming RTTY RU & Rookie RU to Digital RU
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:46:06 -0400
> ARRL has made the decision that RTTY is no longer a legitimate mode
> of communications and they should not be awarding certificates for an
> illegitimate mode of communication since it's no  longer worthy of
 > a certificate.

Renaming RTTY DXCC to "Digital" DXCC does not imply that RTTY is not a
legitimate mode - nor does it mean that ARRL need abandon RTTY as a
contest mode.  RTTY has - an will continue to be - the only effective
mode for digital contesting (the PSK contests sponsored by others are
a joke and the non-RTTY QSOs in RTTY Roundup are insignificant).

Renaming RTTY DXCC to Digital DXCC does nothing more than *recognize*
the award for what is has been for at least 25 years.  Other than CW,
*none* of the DXCC awards are "single mode" - RTTY has included AMTOR,
PACTOR, PACKET, PSK31, etc. for at long as those modes have been used
just as Phone has always included, AM, FM, SSB, and SSTV for as long
as each of those modes has been around.

Phone DXCC participants do not get the choice of a certificate that
says "AM", "LSB", "USB", "FM", or "SSTV" ... why are you so hung up
on a certificate that says "RTTY"?

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV