Re: [RTTY] [Bulk] Re: Self spotting outside of a contest?

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [Bulk] Re: Self spotting outside of a contest?
From: "Vladimir Sidarau" <vs_otw@rogers.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2011 14:16:06 -0400
Isaac,

A RTTY contest may have some 2-3000 participants. What if they all decide to
spot themselves alltogether? Or what if each of them spots himself every 5
minutes? How the cluster will look like? Will it be informative at all?
Technically speaking, can normal cluster channel process 2-3-4000 spots at
once?

A normal cluster spot informs subscribers that the station X has heard the
station B. This information serves 2 purposes, it shows that there is the
station X active in the contest (it may be a valuable mult), and that there
is actually a propagation between locations of ststions A abd B. What
purpose serves a self-spot? Do I need a self-spot of a ZL station CQing on
10 m band in the middle of my night when there is not a sign of propagation?
In contrary if another VE3 sports the ZL, I may drop my run on other band
and jump on 10 m, but I will only do that if there is a proof of the unique
opening, read, a real spot.

OK, this list has always been educational in various aspects. Today I have
learned that apparently self-spotting can be considered progressive...

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE

---