Re: [RTTY] 300 baud RTTY

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 300 baud RTTY
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2011 20:13:48 -0700
On Jun 5, 2011, at 7:28 PM, Ktfrog007@aol.com wrote:

> I'd like to try a  QSO with you, but doubt if I'd see anything but garbage.

If you are using 170 Hz shift, try to open up the receiver passband to about
170 + ( 300/2 )*3*2 or so, i.e., about 1 kHz.  That will let through the third
harmonic of the keying sidebands (the 300/2 number is the fundamental of the
keying sideband) on each side of the two FSK carriers.

Any passband that is narrower than 470 Hz (letting though just the fundamental
of the keying sideband on each side of the two carriers) will incur data
errors.  470 Hz will work; but with that, you are already losing SNR by
removing too much of the keying sidebands.

If you use 200 Hz shift, add 30 Hz to the above numbers.

For transmission, use AFSK instead of FSK, unless you know for sure that the
FSK modulator in the rig can handle 300 baud transmissions.

Needless to say, to avoid QRMing others, leave a lot of space from the other
stations.  Don't rely on the rule of thumb that you have been using with 45.45
baud RTTY.  All that wide keying sideband will be transmitted into the ether.

73
Chen, W7AY