Re: [RTTY] SPOT:SV2ASP/A 18.107.6 RTTY

To: "Kostas Stamatis" <sv1dpi@otenet.gr>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] SPOT:SV2ASP/A 18.107.6 RTTY
From: "Dave AA6YQ" <aa6yq@ambersoft.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 17:08:15 -0400
>>>AA6YQ comments below

-----Original Message-----
From: Kostas Stamatis [mailto:sv1dpi@otenet.gr]
Sent: Saturday, April 30, 2011 5:42 AM
To: Dave AA6YQ

Dave tnx for helping
you mean that via a telnet window or something else (?)

>>>The PTC-II is connectef to the PC via a serial port. Operating RTTY
requires running a terminal emulation program -- like Hyperterm -- that
opens the serial port, and allows commands to be executed and responses
received. When Monk Apollo operates in RTTY, he does so by issuing a BAUDOT
command, which places the PTC-II into "converse mode", where characters
typed are transmitted in RTTY, and decoded RTTY characters are displayed.

>>>According to pages 55 and 56 of the manual, typing CTRL-D while in
"Converse Mode" will place the PTC-II into command mode, in which it will
accept the commands described below. With my PTC-IIe, however, this doesn't
work; it is necessary to strike the Escape key <ESC> before issuing each
commmand.  Thus Monk Apollo would use

<ESC> BAUDOT <enter>

to return to RTTY operation.

he must give these commands

tones 2 <enter>
mark 2125 <enter>
space 2295 <enter>

Is sure ok?

>>>I tested these with my PTC-IIe, and they work correctly. As mentioned
above, I did find that I had to strike the <ESC> key before issuing each
command.

>>>However, Monk Apollo is accustomed to the default 1200/1400 tones, it
might be best if he instead issues the commands

<ESC> tones 2 <enter>
<ESC> mark 1230 <enter>
<ESC> space 1400 <enter>

>>>This will yield a standard 170 hz shift with a 30 hz change in the Mark
tone.

If it is needed he operates usb (probably afsk) and i would like to be sure
because if he makes something wrong, it will has as a result not rtty at all
for anyone....

>>>Since RTTY with a 200 hz shift is far better than no RTTY at all, I
suggest that you hold off on suggesting these changes until you or some else
can arrange to be in contact with Monk Apollo while he implements and tests
these changes. Then if things don't go as planned, the <ESC> tones 0 <enter>
command can be entered to revert to the original 200 hz shift.

     73,

        Dave, AA6YQ