Re: [RTTY] Keyboard vs Mouse

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Keyboard vs Mouse
From: "Ed Muns" <ed@w0yk.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Feb 2011 07:08:21 -0800
Some comments on this trade-off:

1.  If the majority of the contest can be done with EITHER the
mouse/trackball or the keyboard, there is more efficiency and less fatigue
than constantly moving between the two.
2.  N2AMG has enhanced the mouse UI in N1MM Logger such that most QSOs can
be done with only the mouse.  WriteLog has similar capability.
3.  Everything being equal, I do think it is less tiring and more accurate
to use the keyboard.  I also prefer the precise timing with a keyboard tap
compared to a mouse click.  In RTTY, I seldom touch-type, but instead use
the keyboard as a custom set of user-defined keys.  Therefore, it is easy to
run the left keyboard with the left hand.
4.  While I prefer to use the keyboard, the one important exception is
managing the call sign stack.  Here I use the mouse to select which call
goes in the Entry Window vs. the stack and the order of calls in the stack.
N1MM Logger allows the stack to be automatically filled as the digital
interface window captures call signs, but I often don't agree with the
choices and want explicit control over the calls I'm working and the order
they are worked.
5.  I prefer trackballs to mice because they take less space on the
operating table and require no arm movement.  Since I use two UIs, one on
each computer on each radio, I have learned to run the left trackball with
my left hand.  I'm naturally right-handed, so on my main office PC I have
trackball on the left so that I am continually maintaining trackball skill
with my non-dominant hand.

It is impossible to effectively use only the mouse or the keyboard
exclusively for the entire contest.  There will be times you need to type in
a call or exchange element when using the mouse.  Similarly, there will be
times when a mouse selection is quicker than a series of keyboard taps.
Personal preference should dictate whether mouse or keyboard is the primary
UI of choice.

Ed - W0YK