Re: [RTTY] To: ALL Re: RIGBLASTER PRO, KENWOOD FSK, Help...???

To: Michael Haack <mikehaack@aol.com>, RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] To: ALL Re: RIGBLASTER PRO, KENWOOD FSK, Help...???
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2011 01:57:19 -0500

 > I did read the manual, found it less then helpful unless I run an
 > Icom or a Yaesu.

That's because RB Pro does not support radio control in TTL interfaced
Kenwood (any Kenwood prior to the TS-x70 series) transceivers.  From
page 16 of the RigBlaster Pro manual:

  >> Older Kenwood radios that have provisions for TTL control are not
  >> possible to control with a RIGblaster pro. These Kenwood radios
  >> utilize what is referred to as Negative Logic and are not
  >> compatible with the Positive Logic employed in the RIGblaster pro
  >> TTL to RS232 converter. Positive logic, as employed in most
  >> computer interface circuitry, represents a logical one with a
  >> positive voltage and a logical zero with a zero voltage.

That's a cop-out - West Mountain Radio simply too cheap to spend the
price of two transistors to convert the negative to positive logic and
a pair of jumpers to select negative or positive logic.  That's just
the way they designed the product.

 >> 2) Is N1MM Logger configured for FSK? Is it set up for the correct
 >> "Digital" port?
 >
 >  >>> Leaving the logger portion out of it for the moment.
 > MMTTY, Setup, Misc. The TX port is set for COM-TxD(FSK) USB port,
 > Processing A, Normal

I don't think you can take the logger out of it unless you want to
set up MMTTY in stand alone mode.  It is likely that you do not
have N1MM Logger and MMTTY configured correctly.

You need to configure N1MM Logger for MMTTY/FSK on the Digital
Mode tab and configure the "Digital" port.  You also need to
configure the FSK & PTT port on the TX Tab in MMTTY.  See the
example configuration I wrote for N1MM Logger and microHAM USB
Interface III (www.microham.com/Downloads/U3_N1MM_Setup.pdf).
It will have the necessary settings for MMTTY and N1MM Logger
to get you going (it has more than you need).

Note, you will need to setup EXTFSK for FSK Output on TxD and
PTT Output on RTS instead of FSK=DTR and PTT=RTS as documented
for the microHAM interface (DTR is CW).

 > 5) Is the FSK LED blinking on the RigBlaster Pro?
 >
 > No, The 2 green, and 2 red (PTT,CW) flash on startup of MMTTY.
 > When I click TX, the CS, PTT, and CW lights light.

That's expected because you don't have MMTTY configured for EXTFSK.

 >> The TS-950 is set for "mark" with FSK closed. That is what MMTTY
 >> should generate with an open collector transistor driver like those
 >> in the RigBlaster. If you are inverted,, simply change the setting
 >> of Menu 54 in the TS-950 (TS-950 Operation Manual, pg 26).
 >
 > Switching Menu 53/54 have no effect.

It won't until you get MMTTY/N1MM working.  Right now you don't have
a FSK signal to the transceiver.  Once you get FSK to the rig, you
will want to make sure transmit and receive are both "right side up."

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV