Re: [RTTY] What should I expect from 3db improvement in SNR?

To: <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>, "Dick Flanagan" <dick@k7vc.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] What should I expect from 3db improvement in SNR?
From: "Jeff Blaine" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 01:00:22 -0600
Don't bet on the "cheaper" as a given.  That depends in a HUGE way on the
quality of your junk box and the amount of time you have
to dedicate to the project.

I think Bill spent 10 years on his so I would not be surprised it it ended up
being $500 for his 8877 powered barn burner.  But if
you don't have a lot of time and you don't have a decent junk box, expect to
spend.  Add in the value of your time, and it's
arguable that a used Alpha (for example) is far cheaper than going the homebrew
route.

I have done it both ways and my homebrew job with a weak junkbox to draw from
cost me far more than the Alpha 76pa I run now as the
main amp.  But I would not discount the education I gained from the first amp
build (or rebuild, as it was).  And there is really a
special feeling to see something you assembled kick out a KW for the first
time...

73, Jeff ACØC
www.ac0c.com