Re: [RTTY] UR 599 QWI QWI

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] UR 599 QWI QWI
From: Ktfrog007@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2011 17:46:48 -0500 (EST)
Hi John,

This happens when the shift character gets missed somewhere along the
line.  In MMTTY if you right click on the alpha characters, they will  convert
to numbers, and vice versa.  Manually you can figure it out by  going to the
QWERTY line on the keyboard and going NW from the letter to the  number.
That's how to explain the TOO you so often see - it's 599!   In your example
QWI is 128.

Usually this happens just because the shift character (non-printing) gets
scrambled like any other character, but I've seen some stations which had RF
 feedback or some other problem and all their serial numbers are
consistently  sent as characters.  They don't print that way on the
transmitting
station's screen, so they don't know what is going on.

Welcome to RTTY contesting.  Hope to work you many times.  I see  we have
worked a number of times on CW.

73,
Kermit, AB1J

In a message dated 2/15/2011 10:23:14 P.M. GMT Standard Time, john@kk9a.com