Re: [RTTY] K or carriage return

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] K or carriage return
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2011 19:18:25 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 14:58:02 -0500, Al Kozakiewicz
<akozak@hourglass.com> wrote:

>I don't know for sure why, but I observe it dozens of times in any contest.  I
>suspect the interface design.  A character is probably still in the serial
>interface buffer but the software thinks it's done sending and drops the PTT.
>PTT shouldn't drop until the interface buffer is empty.  You can't always do
>that reliably if you're relying strictly on computer software to control
>everything - you might need to add a one-shot delay after the last character
>is pushed to the interface before you drop PTT.
>
>Since I can't be sure that my interface isn't causing a problem, I add the
>space just to be sure.

REPLY:

That's interesting. In my own case, using MMTTY, I am pretty sure that
isn't happening. I monitor my own transmissions with a separate computer
and different software and have not seen the software do that. I will
watch for it more closely in the future just in case. Thanks for the
heads up.

73, Bill W6WRT