Re: [RTTY] Sound card for RTTY/MMTTY

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Sound card for RTTY/MMTTY
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:32:13 -0800
On Jan 16, 2011, at 11:46 AM, Jim Reisert AD1C wrote:

> According to NewEgg:
>
>    SIIG IC-510012-S2 : Signal/Noise ratio = 68.5 dB
>    SIIG IC-710012-S2 : Signal/Noise ratio = 92.0 dB
>
> How relevant are those S/N ratios for for RTTY?

It depends.

If you are using narrow I.F. filters, the answer is probably that you will see
no difference whatsoever.  If you use a good rig and wideband (waterfall)
modes, then you will see some difference between those two.

I have measured the very best 16 bit sound card used in amateur radio (a pair
of different microHAM keyers) to come in within a couple of dB of the limit of
a 16 bit converter (98 dB dynamic range).  OM7ZZ obviously takes great care
with the noise floor of his designs.

With a narrow I.F. filter that lets only one signal through, I don't think you
ever need more than 60 dB of dynamic range to take care of all conditions (even
when there is selective fading, where one RTTY tone can be significantly below
the other tone).

When you use wideband receiving, it is a different story.  You can only see and
copy signals that are above the noise, relative to the loudest signal in the
passband.  For that, you really would like the dynamic range to be better than
80 dB.  The more the better.

73
Chen, W7AY