Re: [RTTY] software

To: Scott McDowell <n5sm@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] software
From: Eric Mynes <kc8wzb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 10:06:31 -0500
Scott,

This past contest was my first attempts a RTTY myself.  I've tried
reading books, Websites (mostly AA5AU's), and talking to the local
ham's of which most are DXers that have been doing RTTY for years.  I
made it out harder then I guess it had to be.  I mostly do PSK work
myself.  In fact, I was trying PSK on 20m that Sunday morning and RTTY
signals kept showing up on the PSK frequencies.  I use HRD/DM780 as my
PSK software.  I like it.  It has an, at least for me, easy interface
and a good logging software built in.  Anyway, to get on RTTY, all I
had to do is change the mode in my software  and move the VFO on my
706.

So my setup is a simple one with a Rigblaster M8, a dipole, an old
laptop, a LDG z-11pro tuner, and an Icom 706mkII.  Like I said, I use
HRD/DM780 as my software which is free.  I mostly run PSK31, but have
also confirmed contacts on PSK63, PSK125, RTTY, and Olivia by only
changing VFO frequency and mode in my software.  I'm confident that
I'll be able to work any digital mode with my setup as soon as I can
find other hams to work.

I'm not saying my way is best.  It works for me.  I would say try
something.  The worse thing that could happen is that you not make a
contact.  I'm always open to making new contacts.  So, if you want
someone to help test your setup, let me know and if I can get on the
air, I'll be happy to try to help.

If you didn't know HRD is short for Ham Radio Deluxe.  DM780 is
Digital Master 780 and is part of the HRD package.

73 and good luck with the RTTY work,
Eric
k8ohz

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Scott McDowell <n5sm@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have never been active on rtty, but would like to be and have been watching
> the
> activity to try learning what is happening.At one time a few years ago I was
> monitoring rtty with some software that allowed me to monitor about eitht to
> ten
> qso's at the same time. Can someone tell me what software that might  have
> been?
> Don, AA5AU tells me that the software to use is mmrtty.
>
> I can tell already that I have a lot to learn before I even try to get on the
> air.
>
> Thanks for any info.
> Scott N5SM..

A wise man once said nothing.