[RTTY] That Don!!!

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] That Don!!!
From: "Duane Budd" <dcbudd@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:24:51 -0500
Don said:

"I like seeing HI DON because sometimes if copy is marginal and I do see my
call clearly (when I'm S&P), when I see HI DON then I know the report is for
me. I support using the HI file even though I don't use it. Many times I see
AA5AQ, AA9AU, and all kinds of variations where a bit gets missed and seeing
DON confirms it's probably me!

I think a lot of people have a misperception of me. I'm not always out to
win, break records, etc. I am just thankful that I am able to participate in
contests and am in it mainly for the fun. I don't care what people send me
in the exchange just as long as they call me. Although I had one station
send me three lines and I wondered why. But it was OK. He DID make it in the
log!

Don AA5AU"

And that, at least to me, is what sets Don apart from many of you on this
reflector. It is amazing to me that a guy with his skills at contesting
would, for ANY reason, support the use of the HI file, even if he does not
use it personally. And I agree, the use of the HI file is a friendly nod to
the other station. So, I will go back to using the HI file in my
confirmation transmission, but will START it with "TU", so those of you who
are offended by my taking up your valuable time can proceed ahead on. HI

I am, as some of you know, a frequent RTTY contester, but it is a joy for me
and when I have gotten my hundred or so Q's, I nearly always give it up. The
highest count ever for me was something over 300. And at my age - 80 next
April - I was pretty thrilled with that.

Duane Budd, W5BEN
dcbudd@embarqmail.com
Johnson City, TN