Re: [RTTY] [CQ-Contest] [WriteLog] Suggestions for RTTY RU

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [CQ-Contest] [WriteLog] Suggestions for RTTY RU
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 06:23:03 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 12:50:04 +0000, Doug McDuff <w4ox@bellsouth.net>
wrote:

>As such, can someone please let me know how the use of "DE" before
>one's call legitimately causes others to "suffer?"  If there is a
>viable reason why it should not be used I definitely would like to
>know.

REPLY:

It's a matter of wasted time. Every character or space takes 167
milliseconds, so DE(space) requires .5 seconds. If you work 1000
stations during the contest, that wastes 500 seconds. If you call CQ
2000 times during the contest that wastes another 1000 seconds. Put them
together and you have wasted 1500 seconds, or 25 minutes.

How many extra stations could you have worked in 25 minutes?

And that's only for you. Add in the other station's time wasted with his
DE(space) and the minutes just add up and up.

73, Bill W6WRT