[RTTY] Observations from PJ6A - RTTY

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Observations from PJ6A - RTTY
From: Tim Pearson - K5AC <ku4j@hiwaay.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2010 21:02:39 -0500
All,
I thought I would share some observations that might be helpful for
folks on the other side of the DX pileup.

1. Use only DE-2 or DE-3 NEVER NEVER DE-4 :-(

2. Tail-ending is worthless if the pileup is large (find a clear spot
and hope the DX station finds you, follow their m.o....moving up?
moving down?

3. Keep macros SHORT.  Don't need AGE, CQ Zone, State, etc.

4. If the DX station comes back with your call correctly, don't repeat
it several times because there is a chance it will decode differently
at the end of the exchange.  Maybe have two RST macros, one with call
once, another with multiple.

5. NEVER NEVER use keyboard mode because it is PAINFUL to
W.A.I.T...F.O.R...Y.O.U....TO...TYPE.....

6. Listen to instructions. If the DX Station is asking for JA's, if
yo're not a JA don't call.  I had some BOZO that after I asked for
JA's, he went into a diatribe about "PLEASE LISTEN FOR LOW POWER
STATIONS"  How the heck could a DX station possibly enforce this
request!!!???####

Thanks to several stations that pointed out that I had deliberate QRM
on my TX frequency (I was beginning to wonder why I had so many
repeats).

Tim K5AC (PJ6A RTTY operator....along with N4LR and KU4V)