Re: [RTTY] FLDigi vs MMTTY?

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FLDigi vs MMTTY?
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:38:59 -0700
On Jun 18, 2010, at 6:30 PM, Joe Subich, W4TV wrote:

> Unfortunately, the lack of a scriptable interface makes it impossible
> (or unlikely) that any Mac programmer will interface fldigi to Don's
> MacLogger DX or Chen's uH Router for rig control.

AppleScripting is *not* needed to use µH Router.  In addition to AppleScript,
µH Router also has UDP and Unix FIFO support to do the same thing.

For what its worth, fldigi on Mac OS X *does* use µH Router to perform PTT on a
microHAM keyer.  I suspect fldigi is using the Unix FIFO (also known in the
Unix world as "named pipes") mechanism instead of AppleScript.

Since µH Router does not run on Linux or Windows, I can see why it is not worth
the effort to use µH Router to perform CAT.  After all, you can just buy a $15
USB Serial adapter to connect a Mac directly to the transceiver for rig control.

Because fldigi succeeds in using µH Router for PTT in a microHAM keyer, it
should also be able to use FSK and CAT.  So, I suspect that it could be a
conscious decision (best use of developers' time, etc) to not provide support
for microHAM keyer for those activities.  Just guessing.

73
Chen, W7AY