Re: [RTTY] Anyone using IC-751A on AFSK?

To: David VE3VID <ve3vid@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Anyone using IC-751A on AFSK?
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2010 02:33:19 -0500
I have used both an ICOM 751 and a 751a for RTTY.
On the 751, I used the rear molex jack with an external
modem. On the 751a I migrated to the front panel mic jack.
I happened to have an ICOM phone patch -- so I used it to
interface and was able to 'cut off' the mic when I was
using data.

At first I used FSK, but then switched to AFSK for Pactor II.
Note the stability and audio purity of the 751a is better than
the 751. I faced two issues -- getting the RF out of the audio
lines (which was never a problem with FSK) and setting the
audio input levels properly to avoid overdriving.

In that regard I heartily recommend an oscilloscope to get the
levels right. You don't need a lot of power --- I routinely ran
25-50watts and worked many DX stations.

Good luck ...

73 de Phil - N8PS