[RTTY] RTTY Contest 160

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] RTTY Contest 160
From: "Tom Martin" <tmartin@chartermi.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:26:43 -0500
I mentioned, in an earlier post, that I was in favor of the RTTY contest on 160
but NOT as an addition to other contests.  The only advantage would be to
multi-multi stations.  It's difficult enough deciding when to operate on 80/40.
 Add 160 to the mix, it becomes a handicap to the single op.

I live on a city lot 50 X 100 with a single 72 foot self supporting tower.  I
added an inverted L last week for 160 to replace a 1/4 wave sloper that ran
from the top of the tower to a vinyl fence and then along the fence for 65
feet.  I worked quite a bit of DX, 60 countries, with it.    The L fits the
property area, although the horizontal section is sloping to 30'.  It performs
quite well.  Adding radials is the big issue with a small lot and no metal
fence around. At present, I have about 60 radials varying in length from 8' to
65'.   Once the snow flies, I will run some radials down the edge of the back
alley.  The L is noisy on receive; so, I'm now building a loop.

It's not too difficult to get on 160, if you have a tower, or some tall trees
in the yard.

I've only made a few contacts on 160 RTTY because there is no activity to speak
of.  It would be nice to have a few "RTTY Get Togethers" on the low end of 160
this winter.

73,

Tom W8JWN