Re: [RTTY] FYI: AL-80B Amp arcing

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] FYI: AL-80B Amp arcing
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 08:27:54 -0700
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Sat, 03 Oct 2009 05:39:18 -0700, Jay <ws7i@ewarg.org> wrote:

>Just a thought that may or may not be appropriate. But years back I had
>a couple of Henry Amp's and I used to have problems with the solder
>joints on the tank coils.

REPLY:

Another fix is to replace the solder taps with a clamp. You can make your own
out of thin brass strips, about 14 inch wide. Form them around a wire of the
appropriate diameter, then hold it in a vise while drilling a hole for a 4-40
nut and bolt to clamp it in place. Takes about five minutes to make one and
you'll never have to worry about solder again. You can either leave a long
"tail" on the strip to go to the band switch, or cut it short and use a wire
with a terminal lug. If you use the wire and lug (which I did), crimp AND solder
it for best reliability.

I messed up the first two or three I made but once I got the hang of it, it was
easy.

73, Bill W6WRT