Re: [RTTY] Run vs. Search and Pounce>

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Run vs. Search and Pounce>
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@att.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 08:23:41 -0500
> Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 19:41:50 -0700
> From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [RTTY] Run vs. Search and Pounce

Bill what you say is true for a DX operation. All they have to do is
make one call and the pileup will start and run until they move or
go QRT.

In the CQ-WW-RTTY contest it looked like FT5GA may have taken
a break from the pileups and tuned around giving out reports to
stations they heard calling CQ.  Most of the comments posted
indicated they were surprised when FT5GA responded to their CQ.

The sign was posted above the operator position in contest super
station and I think it was good advice.  My guess is a contest station
would be more productive calling CQ.

I feel sure that I would have done better in the contest if I had
been able to run.  I was stuck with 60 to 100 watts and it was
probably better for me to S&P.  If I had a super station or a
working amp, I would only mess with S&P when they stopped
responding or to respond to a needed multiplier.

Stations, including rare multipliers, tend to respond to strongest
signals heard.  This old rule of amateur radio has never changed.

Dick AA5VU