Re: [RTTY] RTTY contesting and HamStationUltra

To: "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY contesting and HamStationUltra
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 22:24:18 -0500
The spectrum scope software looks very interesting.  I wish they had it for the
TS-870.

I've been using the Icom IC-756 PRO III with spectrum scope for a few years
now.  It does take some getting used to when S&P in a
RTTY contest.  When I first started using it, I kept looking at the scope and
tuning to the next signal.  That is not the way to do
it.  Tuning on RTTY should always be done by ear first, then by sight, unless
you are hearing impaired.  The best way to tune S&P
with a spectrum scope is to watch for signals you are tuning towards but listen
for signals before you get to the one you see.  Some
weaker signals may be covered up on the scope.  If the signal you are tuning
towards, that you see on the scope, disappears then
stop where you last saw the signal and wait a few seconds.  If the signal
doesn't come back, then continue tuning to the next signal
you see.  If the signal that disappeared then reappears after you've passed it,
then go back quickly and tune it in.

When I first started S&P with a spectrum scope, I had a tendency to skip around
the band.  It's much better if you tune just as you
would if you didn't have a scope, then just use the scope as an aid.

The biggest advantage of a spectrum scope is to do quick checks on bands to see
if there are signals present.  RTTY signals are
fairly easy to spot since they are constantly shifting.

A spectrum scope IS a valuable tool when RTTY contesting.

73, Don AA5AU
http://www.aa5au.com
http://www.rttycontesting.com