Re: [RTTY] looking for the person that helped WB5AAA

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] looking for the person that helped WB5AAA
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Mar 2009 19:01:23 -0800
On Mar 1, 2009, at 6:04 PM, Richard Ferch wrote:

> To use FSK properly, you have to understand whether, when and how to
> use AFC
> and software (click in waterfall) tuning, because while either of
> these
> tunes your receive decoder, it has no impact on an FSK (or "keyed
> AFSK")
> transmitter.

Very true... although you *can* move the FSK frequency by sending the
intended transmit frequency as an XIT using CAT.  Or use the "A VFO"
for receive and "B VFO" for transmit and you send the offset that you
have clicked on the waterfall to VFO B as a CAT command.  I.e., agile
transmit is possible even if you pair an FSK transmitter with a
panoramic receiver whose waterfall you click on.

You can apply this method not just to an FSK transmitter but also to
an AFSK transmitter with a fixed tone pair -- that way, you won't have
to worry about a transmitter whose audio passband is not flat.

73
Chen, W7AY