Re: [RTTY] EPC WW DX Contest

To: captcurt@flash.net
Subject: Re: [RTTY] EPC WW DX Contest
From: Jose Luis Camacho <ct3eeluis@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 18:48:29 +0000
Hello Mike, Curt and everybody

I've participated in the EPC WW DX Contest as Single Operator all band High
Power as CT9EPC.
The Call refers to the oficial callsign of the EPC in CT3.
I used the ontest station from the Ct3 Madeira Contest Team, on a hill in
the East of the island. I shared the antennas with another station
participating also in the contest. So we were almost side by side.
The station setup was:
Radio: Icom 756 ProII
Interface : Home made
Software: MixW 2.19 Registered with the Plug in from RA3BB for the
Statistics.
Antennas: 15m : 5 Element Monobander
                20m : 5 Elements to USA + 4 Elements to Europe
                40m: 2 elem Force 12 to USA + Slooper for Europe
                80m: Wire Dipol pointed to North
Computer: Laptop with Windows XP Prof Edition

The score board of the stats is :
         EPC WW DX Contest
    QSOs    Points    DXCC
80m     75     434     25
40m     180     708     36
20m     278     1096     38
15m     8     32     5
Total     541     2270     104
Score: 2270*104 = 236080

I started on 20m for 2 hours and then went to 21 while the other station
used the 20m antennas. We were swiching between us the antennas and it was
very funny on our side, trying to make the better possible each time we had
the best antenna for the best band.
My main purpose was to have on the air as much as possible the CT9EPC
calsign to improve the chances for the EPC members to have the contact with
this call for the EPC Awards.
This contest gave the chance to all memebrs to increase their Award credits
(BQPA program with BPSK125 Mode, ECSA Program with the EPC official stations
active - I could work CQ7EPC and I was using the CT9EPC, the MGSPA the Grid
sqare pogram, no mentioning all the other Award programs).

I was pretty glad to make 541 Qso's, its much more than the number I did in
the last year of BPSK125 Activity from Madeira Island.
Its a bit dificult for us here to break into Europe and US signals. Many
times I was trying to find a free frequency to call, but I never had more
than 15m in the same frequency, because other stations which were not earing
me, started calling on the same frequency, or splatering very near, so I had
to move.
Anyway it was very funny all the contest long, and found the bands crowded,
which was really a big surprise for me.

I would like to thank to all the EPC WW DX Committe and EPC developers for
this idea and organization.
Know I found that I will have a lot of work in the next days processing all
the Awards requested (168 emails at this moment for the BQPA, ECSA and MGSPA
series).

Many thanks also to the Members of the CT3 Madeira Contest team for their
support and help (CT3BD, CT3DL, CT3DZ, CT3EN, CT3IA, CT3KU, CT3KY and CT3NT)
Many thanks to all the sations who came up to my frequency and all who
answered to my calls.
Many thanks to CT3KY for supporting me and sharing the Station,it was very
good to have him on my side, speccialy during the night.
Many thanks also to CT3DZ for his constant support trying to fix the Force
12 rotatable for 40m that was (and still is) not working, but he tryed his
best, on the very bad weather condictions.

To all the other members a big thanks for helping in setting up and
disassembling the station.

Best regards to all and hope to meet you all in the WPX RTTY

Luis CT3EE/CT9EPC

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:46 AM, Curt Nixon <cptcurt@flash.net> wrote:

> Hi Mike:
>
> Tell us what logging/s/w package you used.  Thanks
>
> Curt
> KU8L
>
> Mike wrote:
> > Here is K4GMH box score in the EPC BPSK125 Contest:
> > Band       QSOs     Points    DX
> > 80            10          51         10
> > 20            175        672       35
> > Total         185        723       45
> > Score: 723*45= 32535
> > High Power (50 W)
> >
> > Lot of fun for the first time using BPSK125.  Had a couple of BPSK125
> QSOs
> > the evening before the Contest started, but didn't fully comprehend the
> > speed at which the data flows across the screen.  The speed is
> fascinating
> > and frustrating.  My typing speed is better than 60 wpm allowing me to
> keep
> > up with RTTY and get ahead on BPSK31.  Not on BPSK125!  Kept feeling I
> > wasn't typing fast enough, and I wasn't, to keep up with the outgoing
> info.
> > Also, had to watch were the cursor is as the line feeds come fast as
> well.
> > Number of times thought I had clicked on a call and find out all that got
> in
> > the "Call" box was gibberish.  But, that is just another thing to get use
> > contesting with this mode.
> >
> > Although this was my first time in this Contest/mode, the activity seemed
> > be good with plenty of stations to work whenever I was on - 4.5 hours
> total
> > op. time.  BPSK125 contesting, to me, is more fun than BPSK31 or 63, but
> not
> > RTTY:>)  Will make a point of being in this Contest next year now that
> I've
> > gotten a taste of BPSK125.

CT3EE - Luis
CT3 Madeira Contest Team CQ9K/CT9M