Re: [RTTY] question about delay

To: "Dick White" <whiter26@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] question about delay
From: "Bill, W6WRT" <dezrat1242@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:54:38 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:33:48 -0600, "Dick White"
<whiter26@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

>In the RTTY contests I notice that when I reply to a call, either S&P or CQ,
>the DELAY at the end of what I send seems to be too long before it drops
>out. Sometimes I miss the first part of the response to me. I have a YAESU
>Mark-5 Field. I have played with the DELAY setting and it does not appear to
>make any difference. Is there a control setting in N1MM or MMTTY to shorten
>the delay drop out time? I have put up with this a long time and decided I
>needed to do something about it. Thanks.....

REPLY:

I know of two things that will cause this (there may be others).

1. In your macro, be sure you do not have an underscore "_" at the end
of the macro. MMTTY uses an underscore to send an unkeyed carrier.

2. Be sure you do not have BOTH hardware and software PTT enabled. Use
one or the other. Having both enabled may cause the PTT to be slow to
release. My preference is for hardware PTT (using a com port).
Software PTT depends on some timing factors that are not readily
tweakable.

73, Bill W6WRT