Re: [RTTY] help with mmtty needed

To: kg6i@att.net
Subject: Re: [RTTY] help with mmtty needed
From: Iain MacDonnell - N6ML <ar@dseven.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 21:03:37 -0800

kg6i@att.net wrote:
> Hello "green keyers", I'm new to the list, and am trying to avoid
> re-inventing the wheel. I'm getting back into RTTY again. I wish to run
> MMTTY using my new Dell PC running Vista Ultimate and with no open serial
> ports, I'd like to use the parallel port. I've already researched the RTTY
> sites, AA5AU's site, the MMTTY site, etc. I've found some contradictory
> info; namely that folks say you can use:
> 1. A USB/Serial converter
> 2. BUT, it only works for non-FSK RTTY
> 3. It only works with Win 98 and not XP and no mention of Vista
> 4. Only a specific Belkin model converter will work
>
> So, I'd like to use my parallel port, BUT, seems you need to run EXTFSK in
> MMTTY, and I found and DLd that file. AND it seems that you also need
> DLPORTIO in order to use a parallel port.

Is that a problem? Maybe see:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.radio.amateur.equipment/browse_thread/thread/379a462b8a765a01

> So my question is this; have any of you sucessfully used a setup like mine
> to run FSK with MMTTY from the parallel port on a PC running Vista?
>
> My equipment list is:
> New Dell Optiplex 755, Core 2 Duo, 3 GHz, 4 GB RAM, Vista Ultimate, one
> serial port (already used for rig control), one parallel port, 6 USB ports.
> Icom IC-756 Pro III
> MMTTY with the AXETTY plug-in to work with DXBase 2007.
>
> OR, should I bite the bullet and spend approx $100 for a 4-port PCI serial
> port card from Byterunner?

How many more serial ports do you need? Maybe you could get a <$20
USB-to-RS232 adapter, use that for rig-control, and use the built-in
serial port for FSK?

Just thinking of alternatives for you ...

     ~Iain / N6ML