Re: [RTTY] Stateside QSL Bureau

To: "'Peter Laws'" <plaws0@gmail.com>, "'RTTY Contesting'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Stateside QSL Bureau
From: "Alex" <kr1st@amsat.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 12:16:53 -0500
Thanks Ed, for bringing this service to our attention.

Peter Laws wrote:

> It doesn't say how your cards get to you.  It's fine that you send
> them envelopes, but how does the other station know to send your card
> there?

>From the "How it works"-page (
http://usdomesticqslbureau.com/howitworks.html ):

"
The U.S. Domestic Bureau works just like any other bureau, you send us two
or three self addressed 6x9 envelopes with postage attached, remember to put
enough postage for several cards.  Remember its (sic) better to put just a
little extra postage to be safe.  When we receive cards for you we put them
in your envelopes and when you have an amount of cards that comes close to
the amount of postage we will send you your cards.  When you receive your
envelope with cards then you just send another to replace it, that way you
always have an envelope in the bureau to receive your cards
"

I've been using the WF5E service for a while with no complaints:

http://www.qsl.net/wf5e/

However, I see that the service Ed is pointing to also does outgoing DX at a
much lower cost. WF5E charges 50 cents per card and you have to sort them.
The Domestic QSL bureau charges only 20 cents and they do not require you to
sort the cards (http://usdomesticqslbureau.com/outgoingdx.html ):

"
Yes, besides domestic cards we also provide Outgoing DX services.  Just
bundle up your DX cards and send them to us.  They do not have to be put
into any kind of order since we have to sort them anyway.  We charge $.20
cents a card for DX Outgoing.
"

> A related question:  Do the buros for the various call areas accept
> cards direct from hams?  Could I, for example, bundle up a bunch of
> cards for W4 stations and send them to the W4 buro?  Or do they only
> accept cards via the ARRL Incoming buro?

I bet they will send the cards back to you. ARRL incoming is for
international traffic only.

73,
--Alex Kr1ST
http://www.kr1st.com