Re: [RTTY] TARA RTTY Melee - Dec 6

To: "'Alex'" <kr1st@amsat.org>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] TARA RTTY Melee - Dec 6
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2008 20:12:39 -0500
> I never realized the 160m band became the ARRL's or of their
> participants' during one of their contests.

Go into any public recreation field when the children's' soccer
leagues are in session and try to start an American football
game on one of the fields and see how well you are received.
What TARA is doing is exactly analogous.

> However, what you are saying is that a contingent of hams
> cannot control themselves, and really should have their
> license revoked.

Now that you mention it, the officers and contest manager for
TARA should be sanctioned by the FCC for inciting intentional
interference.

> > For anyone to promote RTTY activity during one
> > of two major 160 meter CW contests is 100% completely wrong
>
> And that, my friend, is 100% completely in the eye of the beholder.

No, that is a matter of polite behavior.

Nobody commandeers public soccer fields during the children's
leagues or at the times the coaches/teams have reserved then
for practice.  ARRL have sponsored the 160 meter contest for
longer than most hams have been licensed.  It should not be a
surprise that 1800 - 1870 at least will be full of CW signals
and non-CW signals would be about as welcome as a prostitutes'
convention at a wedding reception.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV