Re: [RTTY] 40 Meters RTTY

To: Shelby Summerville <k4ww@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 40 Meters RTTY
From: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2008 15:30:31 -0500
*** SRI FOR THE BANDWIDTH .. MY LAST MESSAGE GOT SNIPPED BECAUSE OF THE SMALL
KEYS AND MY FAT FINGERS! ***

I used to enjoy RTTY contesting as an occasional diversion. Today I rarely
paticipate. Here's why,

     The newer contesting log system precludes counting my call when my call
only makes it into one or two logs.

     The atmosphere changed from one of friendly contacts to professional
inconsideration. That is, it changed from a fun activity to a cut-throat one.
(my opinion, of course)

     You must have a home computer, an internet connection, and logging software
 in order to participate. Heaven forbid if you can't get your computer data into
the correct format -or- the robot hickups. A paper log? Might as well burn it!

     During a contest, I'd say 'hello' or pass a few comments. Today I am
attacked by a mountain of on-the-air complaints. My last "how are U" was met
with  stream of QSY or QRT - QSY or QRT over and over again.

I'm still around, but don't count on me for 'yet another one'.

73 to all

de Phil - N8PS

---------