Re: [RTTY] CQWW exchange

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQWW exchange
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 11:57:32 -0700
On Sep 30, 2008, at 11:01 AM, Peter Laws wrote:

> You're supposed to *copy the exchange* not *match the exchange in a
> database*!

I agree with Peter.

While most people are willing to segregate contest classes by hardware
crutches (SO2R, antennas, power, etc), other than the use of packet
clusters, most people are opposed to classes which are based on
software crutches such as contest loggers and databases.

I know for certainty that some folks are blindly using databases
because I have encountered this (more often that I would like to see):

Me: W7AY W7AY
He: W7AY 599 $%^#*#(
Me: AGN?
He: W7AY TU QRZ?

So, how did he get my RST or state or zone exchange without my sending
it?   Unless he was honest and logged my exchange as "AGN?", I believe
that to be an invalid QSO.  Obviously, I coudn't log him, otherwise I
wouldn't have sent the AGN? in the first place.

I have also noticed that I get asked for more repeats at the start of
the contest than I get in the middle of a contest when I work people
again on a different band -- even when I had to repeat my callsign
many times.  So, are some people using exchange information they (or
the software) remembered, or are they actually copying it?  If it is
what they remember, you can consider that to be operator skill, which
is to be admired.  But if they'd instead used information the computer
has remembered for them, then it is no longer operator skill at work.

73
Chen, W7AY