[RTTY] Help Please - USB/RTTY problems

To: mmtty@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [RTTY] Help Please - USB/RTTY problems
From: Mark Perrin <mperrin@ordata.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 18:44:22 -0700
Any help on the following situation be appreciated.  Trying to help ham
neighbor get going on MMTTY.  Has Pro 3.  Uses Rigblaster Plug and Play on
USB as a soundcard interface.  He has been successful with PSK, using Digipan.

I did the standard MMTTY installation.  Selected Com 1, Sound Card
etc.  Would not transmit, but would receive.  Selected Sound
Card/USB.  Nothing.  Just messing around, and went into Radio Control and
selected Pro 3.  Now would transmit a single tone, no RTTY.

Next, I tried to use EXTFSK.  Followed instructions on Don AA5AU's site and
notes from JE3HHT and JA7UDE.  EXTFSK window only allow me to select Com
1.  Transmitted; only got a single tone; no diddle; no RTTY.

I then checked out the computer.  It is a generic PC.  The operating system
is Win XP Pro with Service Pack 2.  I checked Device Manager, which says it
has LPT 1, Com 1, COM 3, and Com 4 - also Device Manager sez both Com 3 and
Com 4 are "in use" and that the Plug and Play is on Com 4.

Back to MMTTY/EXTFSK set up, and try to select Com 4 to see if could maybe
do it that way, using sound card.  Not let me select anything but Com
1.  So double checked that I had set up EXTFSK per instructions.  On the
MISC window, I trying checking all the options in turn, but ended up with C
- limiting. I tired to select Com 4 in the EXTFSK window.  Red warning that
bad and only allowed me to select Com 1; not let me select any other Com
port, including Com 4.  Transmits solid tone.  Receives and prints out fine
on receive.

Know I am rambling, but first time I have been stumped trying to help
someone get going on MMTTY.  Acknowledge I am not that technical, and
appreciate any help.

Thank you in advance,

Mark N7MQ