Re: [RTTY] DOS = Digital on Six

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] DOS = Digital on Six
From: Dick Kriss <aa5vu@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 12:38:03 -0500

Bill W6WRT and others,

The ARRL color frequency chart dated February 23, 2007 shows
red for ³RTTY and data² as 50.100 to 54.000 MHz.  The ARRL Band
Plans at <http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/regulations/bandplan.html>
does not specifically mention RTTY but suggest 50.600 to 50.800
MHz for nonvoice communications. This is outside the normal
antenna bandwidth and is not followed. The Digital On Six  frequencies
have been used for some time and this is where RTTY operators
go when the band opens.  An antenna that is tuned for 50.125 MHz
can reach to 50.300 MHz and still have reasonable SWR.

If you want to work someone on six meter RTTY,  I suggest you tune
around 50.300 Mhz during an opening. If you want listen to nothing,
use the ARRL Band Plan.

73 Dick AA5VU
DOS #455