[RTTY] ICOM 718

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] ICOM 718
From: N6OJ <n6oj@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 11:12:11 -0800
Hi again Dan

If you are using Mix you have to have CAT turned on to
use the PTT

Chuck
N6OJ

I've always thought RTTY was an interesting mode of
communication.  It wasn't until a recent club meeting that I learned
how relatively simple it was to set up my  IC-718.  One of my elmers
helped me wire up the cable (ie - I watched him make the
connections).  We tested it out and I took it home.  It's amazing to
watch the text come across the screen.  My only problem is that I
have not yet been able to get my computer to make the PTT happen.  It
sends only if I manually key the mic and then push TX or one of the
other preset buttons.  I've determined that the PTT is made up to the
ACC connection on the back of the rig (I took off the bottom cover
and put my meter across pin out 2 & 3 per the book and the signal
from the computer was evident as well as releasing the PTT once the
sequence was finished.)  Today I did a hard reset on the 718, put it
back into RTTY mode, hit the 1x2 button, heard the signal from the
sound card but the radio stayed in RX the whole time.  Any
  suggestions?

   Dan

Chuck
N6OJ