Re: [RTTY] Dayton 2008 RTTY Dinner? Let's do it

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Dayton 2008 RTTY Dinner? Let's do it
From: Jay <ws7i@ewarg.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 08:08:53 -0800
Actually Andrei not 30 years ago, but for over 30 years. Last one was in
2003.  Just for those on the list who are a bit newer.  The RTTY Group had
our own hotel, arrival was on Thursday night, which was typically a meet in
the lounge and frequently the place rocked for hours.

The big RTTY dinner was on Saturday and was hosted for many years by Dale
Sinner the editor/publisher of the RTTY Journal.

K5DJ started a friday night RTTY contesters dinner several years prior to
the end of the entire thing.  We had a lot of RTTY activities and a
hospitality suite that got really going at times.

Shelby K4WW kept the RTTY Forum's going.

So the RTTY dinners went into the 70's only Bill or some of the real old
timers could tell you.  But it was quite a high time.  We always presented
the plaques for the WPX contest which Ron, K5DJ and I started as well as
the CQWW plaques at the dinner.  Short turn around from February contest to
May Plaque's but we did it.

All of this was of course largely due to the RTTY Journal and it all sort
of came apart after the Journal went away. A lot of it was due to the greed
on the part of the hotels.  They nailed us something terrible that last
year. The internet changed things which perahps is for the good.