Re: [RTTY] [3830] RTTY Roundup VO1TTY(VO1HP) Single Op LP

To: <vo1hp@rac.ca>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] [3830] RTTY Roundup VO1TTY(VO1HP) Single Op LP
From: "Glenn VA3DX" <va3dx@sympatico.ca>
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 17:35:23 -0500
During the RU I found a nice quiet spot on 40 meters. This
was early in the afternoon, around 3 pm.... I qrl'd  3 times
and then started to contest. The frequency remained reasonably
clear for about   70 minutes.

Then  the CW ditting started. I tried to ignore this fella for
about 20 minutes, however he was covering up the weaker
Europeans. So, I qsyed down 2.5 khz.... made 3 qsos , and then it
started again. I moved again , down 3 khz ( 5.5 khz from the original
frequency ) and of course he followed me there. At this point I was
on 7037.0

Frustrated , I moved up to 7053.0 and was never bothered again.
Was this the first time this has happened ? NO !!  It seems every
RTTY contest I get the same thing on 40 meters.

It was very obvious that his intention was to qrm me .
As far as infringement on sub bands , you need to listen during
the cw and ssb contests to see if they infringe on the RTTY
sub bands... of course they do !!!  But that is because of the large
numbers of participants.

Digital modes  are growing in popularity and to expect everyone to
crowd into a very small segment on 40 meters is ludicrous.

Perhaps we need to learn to share the bands ( on occasion )
regardless , whether CW SSB or a RTTY contest.  Asking
200 or more RTTY stations to crowd into 20 khz is rather
thoughtless.

The popularity of these contests is evident by the large numbers
taking part in them. Sub band overspills  happen no matter what
mode the contest covers. To single out RTTY ops is very
naive thinking.

Glenn VA3DX

Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup VO1TTY(VO1HP) Single Op LP