Re: [RTTY] Antenna and radiation issue

To: Phil Sussman <psussman@pactor.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Antenna and radiation issue
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2008 08:28:29 -0800
When your coax is "hot" with RF, there are normally two causes:

1. Feeding a balanced antenna (your loop) with an unbalanced line
(your coax).

2. Radiation directly from the antenna back to the coax.

I suspect you have both happening. The first thing to try is make sure
the coax comes away from the loop at a 90 degree angle, as close as
you can get it. This helps with #2. Secondly, install a choke-type
balun at the antenna feedpoint. This corrects the unbalance situation.
But before doing either, be sure you have a short, direct connection
between the chassis of your computer, your TNC and your radio chassis.
Without that, all your wiring between computer and radio becomes a
small loop antenna itself. Connecting the ground wire shorts out the
loop. Along these lines, be sure the computer and radio power supply
are plugged into the same AC outlet. Having them plugged into
different outlets also creates a small loop antenna.

Good luck and keep us posted.

73, Bill W6WRT