Re: [RTTY] Use of Oscilloscope In RTTY

To: "John MacFarlane" <John.MacFarlane@metrovancouver.org>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Use of Oscilloscope In RTTY
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:42:46 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:20:49 -0800, "John MacFarlane"
<John.MacFarlane@metrovancouver.org> wrote:

>Is a piece of hardware 'better' for tuning-in a signal than doing it by
>eye on the computer screen - or relying on a software scope?
>

>How is the oscilloscope actually connected to the system to monitor the
>signal - is it a 'hard' connections? I'm a relatively new ham so please
>don't take knowledge for granted in response - many thanks 73

------------ REPLY FOLLOWS ------------

Oscilloscopes have one advantage that I know of: They respond to
tuning changes instantly, whereas software-based tuning methods have a
"lag" or "rubbery" feel to them. This is not a major disadvantage and
one can easily get used to it. I used an oscilloscope for years but to
save space I have given it up in favor of the crossed ellipses of
MMTTY and the spectrum display of RiTTY by K6STI.

To use an oscilloscope, you need a device or circuit which separates
out the two tones from your receiver and feeds one to the X input and
the other to the Y input of your scope. Some TNCs such as the KAM have
this available (with a minor modification). The KAM is what I used.

73, Bill W6WRT