[RTTY] pk232 problem solved - unit now works

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] pk232 problem solved - unit now works
From: "Ted Boerkamp" <tboerkamp@cogeco.ca>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 21:46:08 -0500
Hello Everyone....just a quick note to first say thanks to everyone
who tried to help me with suggestions on why I couldn't get my unit
to work at all...Thank-you!!
Second, I did manage to get the unit working now and it appears to be
two different reasons. First, it appears that the 12vdc wall wart I was
using was not capable of supplying enough current (the one I tried to
use was rated for only 500ma - I know the manual calls for minimum 1 amp).
I found my wall wart quite warm so I went the direct route and wired
the power connector directly to a 13.8vdc supply I was using for my 2m
station and that made the difference. Also, the cable I was using for
the serial connection must have been null modem instead of the required
straight thru. I had purchased a new cable on the way home tonight just
to make sure. Now I get the unit info popping up on screen followed by
the cmd prompt. I wanted to post this even at the risk of making myself
look bad in case it can help someone else in future with the same
symptoms as mine (4 left LEDs stuck on when powered up and no response
to anything). Thank-you again everyone. It is quite assuring to see others
willing to help out when the need is there. This is still a great hobby!!
73

Ted Boerkamp VE3SS