Re: [RTTY] OMNI Vll

To: VE2FWW <ve2fww@globetrotter.net>, RTTY@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] OMNI Vll
From: Art Searle W2NRA <w2nra@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 19:38:36 -0400
Hi Noel,

I've used my Omni VII since May and it works very well in FSK RTTY.  I have
both the 500 and 300 Hz Collins Filters in it and I do recommend them.  I
use the rig with a microHAM microKEYER and N1MM Logger with MMTTY (for
contesting) and DXLab WinWarbler in RTTY (for catching DX) and it decodes
very well.  In the month of October alone I've worked some pretty big
pileups; 8R1XT, 9U0A, C91R, C31B0, 5L2MS, 3C7Y, 7Q7CE, C52C.  I've also done
some contesting and have over 1200 FSK RTTY contest QSOs with this rig.  I
mention these because they are excellent examples of crowed band conditions.
The radio does an excellent job.  I have no desensing.  My prior rig was a
Yaesu FT-1000MP Mark V Field with roofing filter.  The Yaesu didn't seem as
sensitive as the Omni VII and the Yaesu did desense in heavy contest
conditions.  The Omni VII blows the Yaesu away.

There is a users group for this rig at:

You can see a photo of mine at:  http://w2nra.com/

73 Art W2NRA
"Keep to the Code!"