Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R

To: "'Robert Chudek'" <k0rc@pclink.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ-Contest SO2R
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <w4tv@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 00:38:33 -0400
> SO2R provides an advantage because it allows you more
> receiving time than the SO1R operator. This time is used to
> search and find new multipliers and stations to work. When
> you are transmitting SO1R, you do not have the luxury of
> tuning for other stations to work. THAT's the critical advantage.

Time is time ... how the operator chooses to use it is a matter of
skill and strategy.  The keyer, computer logging, higher antennas,
bigger power all provide more time in one way or another.  Put
another way, they all allow an operator to be more efficient -
whether it is listening for a multiplier on another receiver
while the keyer is calling CQ (or automatically sending the
SS exchange) or allowing the operator to bust the pile up for a
rare double multiplier in the case of bigger antennas or higher
power.

That a good operator can use multiple receivers at a time - on
different bands - and instantaneously switch bands to work a
multiplier is nothing new.  I've seen pictures of stations from
the 70's with multiple C-lines or S-lines each one on a monoband
amplifier and separate antennas for instantaneous band switching.
Like progress from the model 15 to the computer, technology has
simply made the technique accessible to more operators.

In the 70s, only a select few had access to antenna ranges or
the mainframe computers to do antenna modeling.  Those like
W2PV had an immense advantage over others by being able to build
much more efficient antenna systems.  Now anyone can download a
free antenna modeling package or buy the ARRL Antenna Book to
get HFTA and create the most effective antenna farm possible
within budget and space constraints.  Should computer designed
antenna farms be a separate category simply because not everyone
has the skill, knowledge, or (heaven forbid) the resources to
build an optimized antenna system?

This jihad against SO2R is nothing more than I don't like it
so I don't want it in MY neighborhood.

> Geez, maybe the NFL should allow one of the two teams to run
> a few plays while the other team is in the shower during
> half-time. That's equal? I don't think so.

Not the same.  The coach (or quarterback) who does a better job
of clock management is the Super Bowl champ ... the one who can't
do it may well be looking for a job at the end of the season.
They both play the same 60 minutes - just like both the SO1R
and SO2R operators use exactly one transmitter at a time - but
one gets more plays into that 60 minutes than the other.

By the way, in SO1R and SO2R the "R" stands for radio not receiver
and the category is "single operator" not "single transmitter."