Re: [RTTY] CI-V issue

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CI-V issue
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 09:38:03 -0500

> Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 10:39:17 -0500
> From: "Peter Laws" <plaws0@gmail.com>
> Subject: [RTTY] CI-V issue
> To: RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
>
> Hi, all.
>
> I'm trying to diagnose a problem I'm having with my IC746Pro.  Got a
> new USB cable for it the other week and, when I got it, it worked
> fine.  Now I can't seem to get it to work at all.  Reverted to the old

> Oh, and did I mention that N5UWY had a nearby lightning strike?  :-)
> Took out an ethernet switch, the motherboard of the Other PC, and the
> onboard NIC of the Radio PC.  Antennas were all unplugged (and have
> Transi-Traps at the window) as was all power, but the network was
> still connected.  Didn't have any issues with the DSL modem or the
> wireless AP/router or any POTS equipment.
>
> What I'm thinking is that the CI-V circuitry may have got zapped.  The
> USB port that the radio was plugged into is next to the built-in NIC.
> The 746 functions fine otherwise.
>
> Anyone have experience with claims on the ARRL insurance?  I have a
> feeling that this is where the story ends, but I really need to work
> through testing the CI-V stuff.   :-/
>

> 73,
> Peter Laws
> N5UWY

Hey Peter,

I had the same exact thing happen to me 4 weeks ago.  Nearby strike (not
direct, didn't find any radios on the floor!).  Came through the phone line,
zapped the DSL Modem, wireless router, spread to the 2 computers through the
ethernet connections, took out both computers and KVM Switch.  Plugged into
the "radio" computer, it took out the 4 port serial card, the Hal DXP38
(nice arc burn from Hal to Mk2G through the case into one of the screws on
the rubber feet on bottom of Icom), CIV port on the Pro3, RigBlaster Pro, HF
side of 706mk2, MFJ 1270 tnc, 2 meter rig plugged into that, Idiom Press
serial card for rotator, rotator box.  Also 2 sat receivers, LNB on direct
tv, and a line amp for off-air antenna that both it and the antenna were in
the attic.  All told $7000.  The "Good Hands People" are forking up $5000.
The loss combined with the deductible, combined with the almost guaranteed
increase in my policy next year, I'd definitely opt for the ARRL insurance.
One things for sure, you wont have to explain to them in a 1000 words or
more what a rotator is.

Last time I sent a Pro2 to Washington for a repair, a blown CIV was $250.
I'd find someone local or cheaper then Icom.

Charlie
KI5XP