Re: [RTTY] hyphen or no hyphen

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] hyphen or no hyphen
From: "Robert Chudek" <k0rc@pclink.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 01:14:27 -0600
I would never operate a RTTY contest without listening to the incoming audio
tones. If you operate in silence, you throw away some of the most important
tools in transcribing the decoded text into valid contest QSO's... These are
your eyes, ears, and brain.

When you monitor the receive signal your eyes & ears will synchronize with the
characters printing to the screen. Soon you will begin to correlate misprints
caused by static bursts, key clicks, impulse noise, qsb, selective fading, and
other interference competing for the decoders attention.

The second benefit is you can zero beat a station with your eyes closed! I
listen to my own tones and match the incoming and outgoing tones. Kind of like
tuning adjacent strings on a guitar! During the ARRL RTTY contest there were
many stations that did not reply on frequency.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 9