Re: [RTTY] RTTY is getting lower and lower in frequency on 20meters.

To: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY is getting lower and lower in frequency on 20meters.
From: Jim Reisert AD1C <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 08:26:34 -0500
At 11:05 AM 2/13/2007, Bill Turner wrote:

>A good part of the PSK problem is the use of the waterfall tuning
>system. The PSK'ers open up their receivers as wide as possible and
>then wonder why one loud RTTY signal wipes everything out.

I'm not sure that's it.  PSK is an audio AFSK system.  If your rig is
in USB, using the stock SSB filters (1.8 or 2.4 KHz or wider), and
there is no way to narrow the bandwidth (tunable PBT), you're stuck.

My guess is that a majority of folks running PSK are doing it with
inexpensive (i.e. not contest-grade) radios and small
antennas.  Interference from adjacent (i.e. loud RTTY) stations will kill them.

73 - Jim AD1C

USA +978-251-9933, <jjreisert@alum.mit.edu>, http://www.ad1c.us