Re: [RTTY] !st RTTY contest

Subject: Re: [RTTY] !st RTTY contest
From: "Barry Murrell" <zs2ez@axxess.co.za>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 19:42:11 +0200
Welcome to RTTY Marty!

It was really great to see so many new callsigns this contest... seems the
RTTY bug is really biting all over the world now!!

Don's excellent RTTYContesting site should be compulsory reading for all
newcomers, regardless of their choice of contesting software!! I have both
WL and N1MM Logger set up here, and Don's site (as well as the man himself
via several emails) has been invaluable in getting my own setup running.

Highlight of the weekend was YW0DX popping up on 15m RTTY on Sunday... pity
the DX0JP gang weren't up for the contest!! Also wonder what happened to the
J2 operation - thought they were going to operate?

BTW Marty (and anyone else interested) I will be calling on 14.084 or
thereabouts Wed-Sun night from around 20h00-21h00 UTC, beaming Stateside,
this week. I am particularly looking for Wyoming, Nevada and West Virginia
(to complete RTTY WAS) but have noticed that many US stations seem to still
need South Africa!! This past weekend I only saw one other South African
station active, and that was my good friend Donovan ZS2DL (who lives some
15km away from me!!). The next closest to me was a station in Senegal!! This
was only the second contest in the past year where I actually worked South
Africa myself!!

For interest, I run a Kenwood TS-870S in FSK using MMTTY (via the plugins in
the contest s/w, standalone outside contests) into a TL-922 linear set to
400W (max legal power in ZS land), and antenna is a Cushcraft A3S at about
30 feet. 40m/80m is covered by wire inverted vees, mounted on the same tower
just below the beam.

Just hope the antennas all survive the wind here at the moment - we have
been buffeted by 95km/hr (60mph) winds for the past three days - so far
everything is still standing, but the wind just keeps on pumping!!

73 de Barry ZS2EZ
(EX ZR2DX / ZR6DXB)
KF26TA - Port Elizabeth,South Africa
Member : PEARS, SARL, ARRL, SA AMSAT